Monday, November 20, 2017

The Best of Us

Sometimes I look at my daughter and I think about how similar we are. My husband often says things like, "I wonder where she gets that from," often following a bout of hardheadedness. It's been made clear by him and all parties that produced him that her strong-willed nature comes from my genes!

I remember vividly telling my mother that I needed to make my own mistakes - that I simply couldn't and wouldn't just take her word for it. I needed to "learn for myself." As an adult, I see how positively idiotic that was.

"Oh, the fire is hot you say? I better just check for myself."

And I made a lot of dumb mistakes. I experienced heartache that could've been avoided and spent more time being grounded than I had to.

While I hope it is not an indicator of the teen years, this is already starting with my daughter. At nearly three, she already says, "let me just see." Before I can even get out the full instruction she cuts me off.

"Layna, dont -"

"No, no, Mama," she says cutting me off. "Let me just see."

Sometimes she takes it even a step further suggesting her own plan.

"You cannot have your fruit until you finish your dinner."

"No, no, Mama. How bout I have my fruit with my dinner. That be fun?"

Strong will: Team Mom.

She has been playing "house" a lot - going to the store, making dinner, making tea, taking care of her "babies," etc. The other day we all sat down to tea and she started say grace. It went like this:

“Yowd, bess (Lord, bless)... uh oh, where are the noonles (noodles)?!"

My prayers are like that 90% of the time, too.

Multi-tasking Mindset: Team Mom

Other times I think we're nothing alike. Like when I ask her if she's ready to eat and she says, “I don’t want dinner I’m still full from lunch.”

...who did you come from?

At 14 months, I'm starting to see some distinct traits in my son. From the get-go we had no idea who he looked like (aside from any character in "Grumpy Old Men") though as he grows he bears some family resemblance.

As seen by his jabs at his sister, he has inherited the teasing gene. Whether it's pulling her hair, poking her, or throwing her animals off of her bed, he has no problem getting a rise out of his sister.

Intentional antagonizing, i.e. "teasing": Team Dad.

When introduced he puts on a positively stoic air. He will drill you with unamused eyes while you ooh and ahh and goo-goo-ga-ga him (because now that he's outgrown his nose crease he's quite handsome) but he will not break until he has taken in all of his surroundings and you have earned his trust.

Thoughtful mind (and handsome looks): Team Dad.

For better or worse these children will take parts of us with them throughout this life. Parenting is funny like that. All of a sudden you find yourself reliving what you or your spouse must've been like as a child. I'm personally hoping that (aside from teasing) that Dad gene is in there pretty strong. For now, we watch in awe as they grow into little people and continue to pray we pass on the best of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment