Tuesday, August 1, 2017

A Sad Day

Every kid has their own quirky vernacular when they first start talking. It's one of the things that finally got me writing again. I knew the days that they say "ono" for orange, "feep" for sleep... and sheep, and "blana" for banana were numbered. I want to capture them so I don't forget the unashamed learning of their childhood.

In an overnight turn of events, "lovey" is suddenly pronounced "wovey" instead of by making a circle with your mouth and moving your tongue back and forth over the opening (often with various inflections in tone). Countless times we said, "Do we have that on video?" and I'm still not sure we do, but our opportunities to capture it are gone. That piece of my little girl is left to live on only in our minds, and I found this simple thing oddly heartbreaking.

In a nutshell that's what all parenting is like. You see moments slipping by, know they won't last, but can't seem to grasp them any more than you can reach out and hold the air in front of you. And so you're left with a memory of what they used to do, and the only comfort is knowing there's a whole world of "going to do". And maybe we'll have figured out how to capture those moments before they, too, slip away into memories of "used to".

"Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have." -Eckhart Tolle

No comments:

Post a Comment